Post-Operative Instructions After Open Aortic Surgery
- This is a major operation and it is common to feel fatigue and lack of energy for 6 to 8 weeks.
- Lack of appetite and bowel irregularity are normal.
- No special diet is necessary. eat anything you can, your body needs fuel to recover.
- Resume all your pre-operative medications.
- Shower and wash daily, especially rub soap on your wounds.
- Daily walks will speed recovery.
- When sitting, elevate your legs.
- Take the prescribed pain medication as directed. it will help to take a stool softener to avoid constipation.
- Hard areas around or under your incisions are a normal part of healthy healing.
- Areas of numbness below the groin incisions are normal, and will improve over a few months. massaging the areas helps.
- Schedule an appointment in our office for about 2 weeks after leaving the hospital.
- Keep a list of your questions and bring it to your appointment.
- Call our office if your incisions become very red, tender, or swollen.